In my family we eat “un pastel de tres leches” on special occasions. Generally mi tia Nuya makes the cake (she is an awesome cook), but she was not around last night when I was craving a piece. So I made the cake myself. Tasted good considering it was my first attempt, though I did find the bread to be a little dense. I will tweak the recipe a bit for my next attempt.
This is the recipe I used (from Allrecipes.com).
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups of whole milk
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour one 9×13 inch baking pan.
- Sift flour and baking powder together and set aside.
- Cream butter or margarine and the 1 cup sugar together until fluffy. Add eggs and the 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract; beat well.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture 2 tablespoons at a time; mix until well blended. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 minutes. Pierce cake several times with a fork.
- Combine the whole milk, condensed milk, and evaporated milk together. Pour over the top of the cooled cake.