I had bought a lot of cheese because it was on sale, but then found myself at a loss on what to do with it. While browsing the net I stumbled upon a “blooming onion” so decided to take that idea and make a blooming loaf with cheddar cheese. This type of bread has been made many times before, so I certainly did not come up with the idea. It is actually quite simple to make.
- 1 round loaf of Italian bread
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt or garlic butter
- ½ teaspoon dry basil or other dry herb that you like
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- ½ cup fried/baked and crumbled maple bacon (use real bacon)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt butter in a small bowl and set aside to cool.
- Use a bread knife to cut the bread in a “tic-tac-toe” pattern without cutting through the bottom of the bread.
- Stir garlic salt and basil into butter and drizzle over the bread.
- Stuff all of the bread crevices with the cheese and bacon.
- Lightly wrap in aluminum foil and bake for 15 minutes.
- Serve warm.
this is pure magic. them muggles have no idea what they’re missing. thank you for sharing this.
Thank you for your message. It was so good, that I had to bring in to work to have my colleagues finish it. It was too easy to sit there eating it all. 🙂