As many of you know, I don’t have much of a sweet tooth. But last night I was craving brownies with ice cream. Mmm picture this: hot gooey brownies with vanilla ice cream poured on top. But, I did not have any ice cream….
And I was too lazy to get dressed and get my lazy butt to the corner store. So to cheer myself up, I chose to add a bag of Smarties that I had saved for a rainy day. And it just so happened to be raining too! Bizarre.
So this is how it went…
- 1/2 cup butter, melted or vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Grease an 8 inch square pan or line with foil or baking paper.
3. In a medium bowl combine melted butter and cocoa and stir until cocoa is dissolved.
4. Add sugar and mix well.
5. Add eggs one at a time and stir until well combined.
6. Stir in vanilla, flour and salt until you no longer see any flour (do not overmix).
7. Pour batter into pan
8. Spread batter evenly
9. Drop Smarties on top
10. Put pan in oven
11. DO NOT OVER-BAKE!
***Adjust time/temp accordingly for your oven. If you do the knife/toothpick test, it should come out with moist crumbs, not clean. Cool completely before cutting into squares.
SUGGESTIONS FOR TOPPINGS:
- 1 -2 cup chocolate chips ( semisweet, white, butterscotch, peanut butter)
- 1 -2 cup raisins
- 1 -2 cup chopped maraschino cherry
- 1 -2 cup chopped nuts
- 1 -2 cup M&M’
- 1 -2 cup Reese’s pieces
- 1 -2 cup miniature marshmallows
MOST IMPORTANTLY, HAVE FuN!!!!!!! 🙂