Under The Table Restaurant is a casual comfort food restaurant located on Parliament St, near Wellesley street in the Cabbagetown area of Downtown Toronto. Unfortunately they do not have a website, so I spent a lot of time online trying to get more information on them, but the few pieces on them that I did find, was very positive. AND they have jerk chicken on the menu– I LOVE jerk chicken!!! So I gave them a call and made a reservation.
On the evening of my reservation, I did have a bit of hard time finding the restaurant because it is located in a basement. But then again, I always forget to follow street numbers, so getting lost was on me. Once inside, I was greeted by Kim, a very cool and friendly hostess who got our dinner started on a positive note with her cool appeal. So let me summarize for you my experience…
1) All mains are under $20! My dinner specifically was under $12! Oh yeah!
2) We got these yummy seasoned fried bread sticks with dip on the house as soon as we arrived. Free food—love it!
3) They were very accommodating with my hatred of onions. I got no onions on my jerk chicken (see the bill picture!)
4) There was a 10% off deal if you checked in on Yelp. Several of my guests do not use Yelp, yet Kim gave every one of my guests the 10% discount.
5) The service was very efficient. Although the restaurant was packed, and Kim was the only one working, we got our food very quickly.
6) And last, but not least, the food was delicious!
The Not So Good:
1) Their beer options are not great. A lot of North American beers in a bottle. They need to incorporate more European options.
2) I lost internet connection. I missed many messages because there was no signal.
So really, the negative issues were quite minor and they certainly will not keep me from returning. Great tasting food; affordable prices; good portion sizes and great service? Sold! Under The Table Restaurant has gone into, “must return SOON!” list. Check them out!!
Check out their menu and specials on their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/underthetabletoronto
Check out my review of Under the Table’s brunch here.