I am huge doughnut fan, and when I was invited to take a doughnut class at Le Dolci, I jumped at the chance! Several days after the class I decided to try making the doughnuts at home to see if I could replicate what I learned at the class.
This is how it went…
Brioche Doughnut Recipe
750 g all-purpose flour
75g icing sugar
20g instant yeast
135g butter (softened)
oil for fryer or deep frying pan
- In a bowl combine flour, salt and icing sugar and whisk together.
- Warm milk until above body temperature, whisk in yeast and a handful of the dry ingredients, let sit.
- Once foaming add dry ingredients to the bowl of an electric mixer fitter with the dough hook then add milk and eggs. Starting on low incorporate all the ingredients then turn mixer to medium and mix till dough is smooth.
- Add softened butter piece by piece while mixer is on medium, mix until dough comes back together and begins to climb the hook.
- Roll out dough approximately 1/2” thick cut into desired shapes, let rest 30 min or till doubled in size.
- Heat oil in fryer or pan to 375 degrees F. Cook for about 2 – 3 minutes, depending on size of the doughnuts. Remove doughnuts when golden on both sides. Quickly drain on paper towels or parchment paper. Roll in powdered sugar, cinnamon sugar of glaze with chocolate gnash.
Sugar Icing Recipe
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
2 teaspoons milk
2 teaspoons light corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
assorted food coloring (optional)
- In a small bowl, stir together confectioners’ sugar and milk until smooth. Beat in corn syrup and almond extract until icing is smooth and glossy. If icing is too thick, add more corn syrup or milk.
- Divide into separate bowls if you want the icing to be different colors. Dip doughnuts, or paint them with a brush.
With the dough that I did not want to use for doughnuts, I used to make brioche buns. In other words, I cut the dough into circles, let it rise, gave them an egg wash, put them on a baking pan, and popped them in the oven for about 10-15 minutes on 350 degrees F, or until a golden color.